Gastric Plication is a new investigational operation in the U.S. in which a large portion of the stomach is folded over itself using rows of sutures to create a much smaller functional stomach. The procedure is performed laparoscopically in about an hour. 4-5 tiny skin incisions are used. It results in a narrow stomach with much smaller capacity compared to your original stomach, which causes fullness after eating just a small amount of food. And the less we eat to feel full, the more the weight loss. Currently this procedure is considered investigational in the US, and is in its early phases just like the lap-band and the gastric sleeve were years ago. However, thousands of gastric plication procedures have been performed world wide, and results have been shown up to 70% extra weight loss at 2 years, which is comparable to Gastric Sleeve or Gastric Bypass.
Dr. Mehta trained with International Leaders for Gastric Plication, and has modified the procedure over the years to produce optimal results. He is a leader in Gastric Plication in the North East with the most experience.
It is also a safer option than the gastric sleeve or the gastric bypass: since there is no cutting of the stomach, and no re-routing of the intestines, the chance of having a leak is extremely low since there is no cutting of stomach, but rather folding.
Gastric Plication Seems To Be A Good Fit For
- Those who are not morbidly obese, and may not require the”big-gun” surgeries such as the Sleeve or the Bypass.
- Those who have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 30 or above.
- The stomach is folded inward, instead of being cut and removed
- Surgery is performed laparoscopically using tiny skin incisions
- No foreign body placed inside you, as in the Gastric Band
- Follow-up visits are less frequent than for the Gastric-Band
- No mal-absorption of nutrients, as in the Gastric Bypass
- Much lower chance of a leak compared to Gastric Sleeve or Gastric Bypass
Have questions about this procedure? Ask us now:
We accept all major insurances if you have appropriate benefits, offer financing, and can email you our specials, for those who choose to self-pay.