Lap Band Over Gastric Sleeve
Although Gastric Sleeve is a great procedure, some patients may experience inadequate weight loss. This can be, in part, due to the gastric sleeve stretching out over time, thus allowing patients to eat larger quantities of food.
The procedure is performed laparoscopically using a few tiny skin incisions, takes 45 minutes, and is a same day procedure. A Lap-Band® / Realize-Band® can be placed over the gastric sleeve, to give patients the added restriction that they may have lost. The band can be adjusted to a level that allows one to eat only a few ounces of food to be completely satiated. This can help people restart losing weight.
The amount of weight loss following Band over Sleeve can be optimized by monthly follow-ups and frequent band adjustments. Eating a low calorie diet consistent of high protein, high vegetable, low fat and low carbohydrate.
What can I expect after treatment?
• Same day surgery
• Return to work within 3-4 days
• Liquid diet post-surgery, and progressed incrementally to solid diet over 3 weeks
• Patients can feel satiety after smaller portions of food, and can restart losing weight.
• Eating a high protein, low calorie, low fat, low carbohydrate diet, and living an active lifestyle will optimize weight loss.
• Monthly follow-ups and office band adjustments are done to make sure the band is adequately and frequently adjusted to maximize weight loss.
If you had a Gastric Sleeve and inadequate weight loss, feel free to ask Dr. Mehta about your options; as well as the expected weight loss in your particular situation.