The Gastric Sleeve can be used for patients with a body mass index greater than 35. The procedure takes about 60 minutes to perform, and is performed laparoscopically through 2-4 small incisions, or can be performed using the SPIDER® device. A large portion of the stomach is surgically removed, creating a smaller tube-like stomach pouch, which causes satiety with a small amount of food, which leads to dramatic weight loss.*
* Individual results vary, and no specific outcome is guaranteed.
What can I expect after treatment?
- 1 to 2 night hospital stay
- Return to work within 7-10 days
- Liquid diet post-surgery, and progressed incrementally to solid diet over 4 weeks
- Patients can feel satiety after smaller portions of food, and can lose significant weight, which can be as much as a gastric bypass
- Eating a high protein, low calorie, low fat, low carbohydrate diet, and living an active lifestyle will optimize weight loss.
- Surgery is performed laparoscopically using tiny skin incisions.
- No foreign body placed inside you, as in the Gastric Band.
- Follow-up visits are less frequent than for the Gastric-Band?.
- Minimal mal-absorption of nutrients, compared to the Gastric Bypass?.
- Excellent weight loss.
If you are interested in the Gastric Sleeve, feel free to ask Dr. Mehta about your options; as well as the expected weight loss in your particular situation.